Cultural Diversity – Credits and References
Reference this module as:
Kalyanpur, M. (2004). Secondary transition and cultural diversity [Online Training Module]. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas, Department of Special Education. Retrieved from: www.transitioncoalition.org
All contents Copyright 2012 by the Transition Coalition.
- Banks, J. A., & Banks, M. (1997). Multicultural education: Issues and perspectives. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Bogdan & Biklen (1977). Handicapism. Social Policy, 8(2), 14-19.
- Bowers, C. A. (1984). The promise of theory: Education and the politics of cultural change. New York: Longman.
- Fadiman, A. (1997). The spirit catches you and you fall down: A Hmong child, her American doctors, and the collision of two cultures. New York: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux.
- Hasnain, R., Sotnik, P, & Ghiloni, C. (2003). Person-centered planning: A gateway for improving vocational rehabilitation services for culturally diverse individuals with disabilities. Journal of Rehabilitation, 69(3), 10-17.
- Kalyanpur, M & Gowramma, I.P. (2007). Cultural barriers to South Indian families access to services and educational goals for their children with disabilities. The Journal of the International Association of Special Education,8(1),69-82.
- Shafer, M. S., & Rangasamy, R. (1995). Transition and Native American youth: A follow-up study of school leavers on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. Journal of Rehabilitation, 61(1), 60-65.
- Turnbull, A. P., & Turnbull, H. R. (2001). Families, professionals, and exceptionality: A special partnership (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill/Prentice-Hall